Saturday, July 21, 2007

Going down, smoking.

Reluctantly we broke camp, packed all the stuff we took out for the day before, had showers, filled water bottles, unpacked all the stuff again in pursuit of some thingamajigger that perhaps was packed, or perhaps not. We really did not want to go.. But we had to. Miles and I went around to look at the caravan in the very end of the site. The owner had carved the wood of the extra roof going over it. We took a 'from above' picture of where we camped, got the last stuff in, paid 20 Euros for two days and went off never to return again, ever ever ever. The place will forever linger in our hearts though.

Breakfast at the same restaurant plaza as yesterdays dinner (coffee and buns) and then off to find an access road to SS12, which we will follow for quite a while. The access road was a curly affair though, going down one mountain side and snaking up another. We went up, down, up again, down again and the brakes were getting warmer and warmer. I set out ahead of the others to get some incline pictures that might look cool and I had to brake very hard to get to a stop. It kinda smelled funny and no wonder. My rear brake was on fire. It bellowed smoke all over the landscape. I quickly whipped the bike up on the central stand, put it in fourth gear and let the wheel spin to let the air cool it down. The brake did not function that well after that point... I got the photos but they were not that good.. So, I might have sacrificed a perfectly good rear brake for three lousy pictures. I did not felt that good about myself after that point either.















I found Lars-Inge and Miles at the end of the hill and we took off my rear wheel to inspect the damage. The linings had been glazed not burned as bad as I thought. So, I could get the glazed and carbonized surface off and reshape the liners with a file. Things went back on and the brake functioned again. MAN – I'm good... SS12 was easy to find and we went on towards Trento, we found a museum dedicated to the Italian Caproni aircraft. The museum was relatively small but held extremely interesting aircraft history collection, beautifully put together. We gawked and awed and gazed at everything. The pictures will probably say more than words.
Back to the last leg of today's journey (that has been some pretty tough150 kilometers) took us close to Bolzano Bozan, were we got a place at the second camp. I have been doing pictures, blogs and what not while Miles and Lars-Inge went into town to get supplies. Miles chef-ed and cooked us a great spagetti with mushrooms and chicken. MAN he is good. =)









2 comments:

Patootzie said...

No comment.

Anonymous said...

Now that I've finally figured out how to do this... Happy to hear that leg seems better, Cookie. Hoping things stay dry long enough here for me to get the rest of that brush mowed. Thought the DR was broken again; this time I forgot to open the fuel valve.... I don't think you'd want me as your motorcycle mechanic. Safe travels!